Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

A Letter to my Father




Dear Dad,

This father’s day I wanted to take time to write you a legit letter instead of just getting a card. So here it goes:

Growing up I have always known how much you loved me. You have never fallen short of showing love, even when I confused your love and discipline for anger or unfairness. You have always been a solid in my life just as a Father should be. Not only have you given me a good picture of a earthly Father but in a lot of ways you have shown me characteristics of my Heavenly Father and that is the biggest thing a man can do for his children. Thank you for always being solid, even when I fought against you. Children need someone who they can always count on to be there, whether they like what you have to say or not.

I also want to apologize for any of my own short-comings and thank you for loving me through them. I have obviously made mistakes in my life and some of my mistakes have affected my family in negative ways. Thank you for not giving up on me and for loving me when i clearly didn’t deserve it.

I am so glad I have so many of your characteristics. My favorite is that I speak my mind and don’t take any crap. For a long time I didn’t do that (especially to certain people) and you taught me that it’s okay to be a strong woman and have opinions. I have a right to be heard and to be validated in my feelings and what I think. For a long time I thought women were just supposed to keep quiet, but in a lot of situations we are supposed to speak up for ourselves. I have finally learned this “no bull-crap” attitude, but not in an arrogant way!

The biggest most important thing I can thank you for is loving Elijah. As you know your kids are the most valuable and treasured thing in your life and I regret so much the situation I brought my child in to. But I am eternally grateful and extremely blessed to have a dad who has stepped in as a Father figure to my baby. He loves you so much it’s ridiculous and you honestly have no idea how much joy it brings to my heart. God took a situation that I obviously screwed up and has turned it into the most amazing gift I could have ever received, and you have been a huge part of that. So thank you for being Elijah’s papa. Thank you for teaching me. Thank you for loving mom. Thank you for always pushing me. Thank you for being honest. Thanks for seeing potential and value in me when I didn’t. Thank you for truly being a Father. I love you.

Xoxo, Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment