Monday, June 27, 2011

It's Been Too Long

So I realize I haven't written on here in a long time but things have just been super crazy. In case you haven't realized I had Elijah on May 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm. He weighed 7 lbs and 13 oz and was 20 inches long.

My Labor & Delivery:
So I went to the doctor on May 2 and was expecting to be told my induction date was for later that week. The doctor came in and checked me and informed me that I would be going to labor & delivery that night to start cervidil (medicine that ripens your cervix) and would be induced early the next morning. The thought running through my head was "Oh. My. Gosh." She told me she would call me later that afternoon and tell me what time to check in the hospital. I get a call around noon and she says to check in at 4:00! "What the heck! That's 4 hours from now." Obviously, I was freaking out. So I packed my bags and took one last nap as a pregnant teenager.
On the way to the hospital I was a nervous wreck. Who expects that before your 19th birthday you would be on your way to have a baby, unmarried. What is this going to be like? Labor? And how long is it going to last? What do contractions (real ones) feel like? What will he look like? Will everything go smoothly? Not to mention all of the questions that run through your head that have to do with being a single mom. This was honestly the most nervous and vulnerable time of my life.
They started my medicine around 6:00 and by 7:00 I knew what real contractions felt like. NOT FUN. They weren't labor contractions, it was just the cervidil working it's magic. They gave me pain killers and sleeping pills throughout the night because of how much they hurt and so I could get rest before the long day ahead of me. By 6:00 am I was ready to go.
They gave me my pitocin and my epidural at the same time, thank God. I just remember them telling me it would probably 4:00 or 5:00 before Elijah would be here and by 9:00 am I was already ready to push. There really isn't much to say about the whole pushing thing.. it's exactly that. Pushing and pushing hard. By 12:20 pm I had conquered what I was so stinking scared about and had the most precious gift I had ever received in my arms. 6 hour labor... not too shabby, PRAISE THE LORD!



No comments:

Post a Comment