Monday, July 4, 2011

From Crying It Out to Cradle Cap & Excema

WOW! Let me just write about this for all the moms I know that will have sleep problems with their babies!

Elijah was colicky when he was around 3 weeks old and would cry for 3 hours straight at night and everyone told me to switch his formula to soy and see if it helped, well it did. But he had grown accustomed to us walking him around swaying him bouncing him and every other single thing we could think of to soothe and calm him and so he assumed that's what had to be done for him to go to sleep. Even during the day he needed to be held to sleep and once you layed him down 5-15 minutes later he was right back awake and let me mention very unhappy! The night times were getting worse and worse every single night.. and the night that i only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep I was at the end of my rope.
First night of cry it out Elijah cried from 9:45 pm until 11:15 pm. Then he awoke shortly after that and cried from 3 am until 5:45 am (I was trying to wait until 6 but couldn't any longer). When I got him up that morning on 3 hours of sleep myself I thought "Dear God, I Hope This Works." Well miraculously Elijah went back to sleep around 7 after an hour of playtime and slept perfectly fine.. and he napped SO easily all of the rest of the day. I thought great hes going to be up all night now... But I was sooo wrong!
The second night he fussed from 9:20-9:34 pm and woke up at 5:00 and cried until 6:00 when i got him up! Napped great on his own during the day and was muuuuuch happier while he was awake and playing!
LAST NIGHT WAS ALMOST PERFECT!!!
I put him down at 9:20 and he barely fussed at all for a few minutes and slept until 5:45 am (:


IF YOU HAVE SLEEPING PROBLEMS YOU MUST DO THIS! It hurts sooo bad the first night but it feels amazing when your baby accomplishes learning to sleep on his own! I am such a proud mom!

And thank you Mallory Evans, for all your tips!


When it comes to cradle cap & excema:
(some call it cradle CRAP haha) The only thing I have found that works is putting baby oil on Elijah's head first thing when he gets in the bath and washing it out at the end. It moisturizes his scalp and for some reason makes the flakes come right off! For the most part he is cradle cap crust free now! (: His excema cleared up a whole lot once I put mittens on his hands so he couldn't irritate it even more and put vaseline on it all throughout the day.. I think the mittens helped the most. We also started washing off his face without any soap, and used lukewarm water in this bath at night. He has aveeno baby wash with oatmeal in it and has a special aveeno excema lotion that we started using!



-Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment